Placitas is one of the best places to live in New Mexico. This beautiful community is the perfect balance of new and old. Along with its scenic beauty, Placitas offers a variety of recreation sports.
- Hiking: Placitas offers a variety of trails leading in to the Sandias from Highway 165. Piedra Lisa Trail and the trail to Sandia Man Cave, where humans once dwelled over 10,000 years ago.
- Mountain Biking: In Placitas, find off-road adventure along Tunnel Springs Road, which is located at mile marker 5 on Highway 165. An easy 10k ride is found along Forest Road 445, which is just past mile marker 2 on the south side of Highway 165.·
- Golf: With the purple mountains as a backdrop and scent of piñon in the air, Sandoval County offers some of the nation's most scenic golf courses.
- Pueblo de Cochiti Golf Course (505) 465-2239.
- Santa Ana Golf Course (505) 867-9464
- Twin Warriors Golf Course (505) 771-6155.
- Chamisa Hills (505) 896-5017
- Placitas Home Tour: Every autumn the Placitas Chamber of Commerce, www.placitaschamber.com, hosts the annual Placitas Home Tour where many of the area's finest custom builders come together to open their newly constructed homes to the public.
- The New Mexico Wine Festival at Bernaillo: The New Mexico Wine Festival at Bernalillo wraps up the summer with the premier wine festival of the southwest! Just north of Albuquerque, the historic town of Bernalillo is host to the biggest wine festival in the state.
- Hot Air Ballooning: Albuquerque is host of the Albuquerque Balloon Festival every October. Every year you can expect to see the most spectacular array of colorful balloons flying overhead throughout Bernalillo and Sandoval county. Balloonist from countries all over the world come here annually to take part in the festivities and fly their balloons.
- Sandoval County Tourism: Visit www.sctourism.com for more information on Scenic Byways, Hiking, Fishing, Camping, Water Sports, Winter Sports, wineries and more.